May 14, 2012

Rabat!

The next few posts will be FILLED with photos (and captions) of my trip to Morocco. So if you're only interested in hearing about The Gambia, come back in a week or so...

Inside the kasbah, everything is blue and white and Andalusian. This door is lucky, for one reason or another, and I was instructed to put my hand on the hand of Fatima. There were a lot of lucky doors in the kasbah, actually...hey! That must be why my trip went so wonderfully!



There was some story about pirates related to the river between Rabat and Salé, but the man who told me this didn't know enough English to actually tell me the story.Luckily Wikipedia doesn't care that I don't speak French, so I've just learned the two towns used to be a pirate den.



There is no explanation for this picture, other than the cat was cute.



RAIN! rainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrain!



I decided somebody built Rabat just for me after discovering this. It is a shallow rectangular pool of water with a bridge across it. It seems to exist purely to please those people (me!) who love walking across bridges.



This building was part of the mosque/mausoleum complex.



My left hand. My right hand looked similarly. As did both my feet. The fingertips weren't smudged, that was just left-over henna a Gambian neighbor had applied before I left for Morocco.



An entrance to the mosque. I think.


Hassan's Tower.



That's the mausoleum in the background.



The ceiling of the mausoleum.



You already know the tower. You don't know these people but neither do I.



The necropolis was over-run by storks.



I couldn't tell you what this used to be since the placards were only in French and Arabic.



Somewhere in the necropolis.




Somewhere in the necropolis.



Somewhere in the necropolis.



This is one of the doors in the Andalusian gardens.




One of the medina walls.



On the hill outside the Andalusian garden.




I saw a lighthouse and began walking towards it; I took this photo on the way there. That is a mosque in the background, not the lighthouse.



Probably not a haunted lighthouse.

No comments: