May 15, 2012

Moulay Idriss and Volubilis!

It was raining when I arrived in Moulay Idriss, but it cleared up enough for me to take some photos. Thank goodness, or I'd never have met my Moroccan family!



This picture does a poor job showing just how dizzying these rocks were. It felt kind of like one of those Magic Eye pictures where you get all cross-eyed. I worried if I didn't turn away I'd tumble down, down...



Khadija was very excited to show me the natural spring. "The water is natural! It is not brought there by people!" I had to arrange this photo carefully to avoid including the scum and garbage. "It's better in the summer..."



Further dizzyness.




And some people get to see this every day...




Khadija told me if you look at Moulay Idriss from the sky, the shape of the houses form Muhammed's name.




ALLAHU-AKBAR!




The street across from Khadija's house. I liked the carpets hung out to dry.














I walked to Volubilis, the Roman ruins, one morning. I took this photo on the way there.




Also on the road to the ruins.



At the ruins. Obviously.






I ate a bowl of these guys in Fez--it's photographic foreshadowing!




My favorite part of Volubilis was continually stumbling upon these mosaics.








This was my favorite mosaic. Not because I particularly love scenes of slaughter, but because I love that someone deemed this worthy of immortalizing in art for ETERNITY.








No comments: