Nov 22, 2010

=)

Sometimes the students make me want to scream, but sometimes they make me smile.

From the day I returned the grade eleven homework:
Bakary: Miss Jallow, who put this here? [Bakary points to the sparkly, blue smiley-face sticker]
Me: I did. Do you like it?
Bakary: Yes!
A few minutes later...
Bakary: Miss Jallow! Muhammed is trying to steal my this!

From the same day:
One of the students: Miss Jallow, next time write "Bravo!"
Me: Okay, next time instead of "fantastic" I will write "bravo!"

From a lesson with the ninth graders, before it devolved into chaos:
Student: Miss Jallow, who invented maths?
Me: Many people invented maths. You know the people in the Middle East? They helped invent math. And the Greeks, the people from Greece. You know where Greece is? In Europe.
Another student: Maths is like science, it was not just one person.
Me: Yes! Exactly.
Yet another student: Miss Jallow, who invented colors?
Me: I don't know.
Same student: I think it was Isaac Newton. [chorus of agreement from the class that Isaac Newton invented colors]. You know Isaac Newton?
Me: Yes, but now it's time to return to maths.

No comments: