Nov 16, 2010

A super-fabulous day in my life!

Not all of these days are this super-fabulous. And at the time I am writing this post, I don't know if November 15 will be super-fabulous or not. But September 29 went like this:

  • I went to school and the teachers spoke English nearly the entire time I was around them (during my first few days at school this hadn't been happening frequently, so it was pretty exciting)
  • One of the teachers gave me a lesson on the history of the ethnic groups in The Gambia, and then directed me to a book in the library, so I met the librarian for the first time
  • Walking home from school I met a little elementary school kid who called my name and started talking to me in flawless English. Here is part of the conversation we had: 
    • Me (greeting the compound we're walking past): Nyallejam.
    • Him: Oh, you speak the vernacular?
  • I went to market and bought some peanut butter in a bag from my friend Mariama and learned where to buy bread. I sat and ate my peanut butter sandwich and learned that the reason part of the covered market they're repairing is sectioned off and has a separate door is because it's where they sell the meat. 
  • I bought bananas. 
  • Kids called my name and ran to hug me as I returned from market.
  • Went with my friend Isatou (the mom to some of the kids I usually play with) to visit the hospital. I'm not sure why we went to the hospital, but I hadn't seen the hospital yet, so it was a good experience
  • Witnessed the following glorious scene returning from hospital: Isatou's maybe-five-year-old daughter Fatoumata is semi-skipping along the dirt road leading back to our compounds. In one hand she's holding the ripped-off piece of cardboard box she found earlier. In the other hand, she's got an empty powdered milk tin that she's filled with broken bits of ceramic tile and placed in a plastic bag. She's shaking the bag and humming a tune. Snot is running from her nose. Her little sister, Hawa, is trying to catch up to her. Hawa is wearing pink shoes that squeak like a dog toy when she walks.

No comments: