Nov 8, 2010

Switzerland!

Regretfully, Switzerland is no longer a part of Europe. Or any of the continents, actually. And I have proof.

One afternoon I was talking with my brother and his friends and trying to explain that America was not a part of Europe and that Sweden and Switzerland were not the same country. The world map I drew with a stick in the dirt wasn't helping much, so my brother brought out an old exercise book from last year that had a world map on the back cover. This exercise book was small, maybe half the size of the average spiral notebook, but this map was detailed. It mentioned that Greenland was a territory of Denmark, or wherever Greenland is a territory of. It labeled every island in every ocean and every country in Africa, including The Gambia and Lesotho. But when I searched for Switzerland, I could not find it. About half of Europe was a blank, unlabeled blob with some squiggly lines. Germany and Slovakia were also missing.

In the map's defense, the disclaimer at the bottom said, "The boundaries on this map are not authoritative."

No comments: