Nov 4, 2010

Internet!

This post is actually being written on November 4! The same day it is being posted, amazing!

So even though I just finished spending the weekend in Basse, I'm back again. Tuesday morning the vice-principal of my school tells me that there is a workshop I should attend at the regional education office in Basse. Starting Wednesday. At 9 am. Until Sunday. I can't be too upset with him though, because he didn't find out himself until the day before.

The good parts about being back in Basse for this workshop:
  • it's a science and math workshop
  • I get free breakfasts: Wednesday was a scrambled egg and French fries sandwich, and today was a tuna fish or sardine sandwich.
  • I also get free lunches, which has been benichen for both days. And I get to eat with my hands, which I haven't done since training village
  • I have time to wander the market
  • there's internet
  • and soda
  • and showers
  • I'll be around for the "Tobaski ram trade show" on Saturday
The bad parts about being back in Basse for this workshop:
  • the room I'm writing this in is swarming with bugs
  • the room I will be sleeping in will be too hot
  • no one knows my name, so everyone calls me "toubab" or Mariama
  • if I pause longer than a second at a market stall, I'm repeatedly asked what I would like to buy, and then the lady will walk around from behind her stall to ask if I would like these earrings, or maybe those ones and I do not know how to say "thank you kindly, but I'm only browsing at the moment" in Pulaar

No comments: