Nov 6, 2010

Apologies!

The lengthier, more-entertaining post I promised yesterday never happened, and also I forgot to move the post I scheduled for today (goat names) to a later date, so sorry for the confusion and lack-of-promise-keeping. Yesterday when I began writing the second post, the laptop I was typing on went into sleep mode, and then the charger refused to charge, so really it wasn't my fault.

So tonight I am back on the computer in the bug-infested room, which is possibly less bug-infested because we made sure to close all the doors completely and turn off the lights. However, because I have turned off the lights I have no way of actually seeing the quantity of bugs present.

Anyway, yesterday I'd just been planning on giving you the highlights of my day, so here's Yesterday:
  • Breakfast = a french fry, hot dog and canned beans sandwich with a cup of tea
  • Breakfast conversation = I chatted with one of the VSOs (sort of like Peace Corps Volunteers, but from England, so they have better accents and also they get to ride motorcycles) and learned the following:
    • my accent is not one of those horrible ones that makes you wish the person would shut up
    • his thatch-roof hut is like mine except with a refrigerator
    • his hut is so large, "you could swing a cat around in it." this is a phrase I have decided to incorporate into my daily vocabulary, once my daily vocabulary returns to English
  • After the workshop = I thought about going to market, but changed my mind and didn't go farther than the Mini Market. The Mini Market sells the following:
    • Powdered milk
    • Nescafe
    • Ovaltine
    • Canned chicken
    • Canned salmon
    • Soap
    • Insecticide
    • Hollywood Chewing Gum
    • Chocolate wafer cookies
    • Strawberry wafer cookies
    • Gingersnaps
    • Coconut biscuits
    • Bags containing 80 dalasi worth of candies
    • Room-temperature banana milk
    • SpaghettiAnd a few more things along those lines, but not very much more
  • Dinner = Room-temperature banana milk and some biscuits whose wrapper I couldn't read because I don't know Arabic. And then later I also cooked up some spaghetti with canned chicken.
  • Sleep = Deficient. The hut at my permanent site may not have a fridge or enough room to swing a cat, but it is designed to allow the cool night-time air to flow inside. The Peace Corps house in Basse, on the other hand, was designed to require fans to keep its inhabitants cool. Unless the inhabitants are sleeping on the bottom bunk, in which case the inhabitant will give up attempting sleep and read several chapters of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time instead

No comments: