May 20, 2012

And then the camera sputtered and died...

After the desert I didn't have much time for Marrakesh (a night and a morning) or Casablanca (an afternoon) before it was time to return to The Gambia. I've decided to think of it as saving things for next time.


I forgot! I do have a picture of Marrakesh! I photographed this McDonald's on my way to the bus station.



I also have a photograph of Casablanca from the day I arrived, also taken while walking to a bus station.






The camera was refusing to focus. Probably for the best, because who actually wants to view a clear and focused image of slaughtered animals?



And this, the final picture. After refusing me photographs of many breathtaking sights from the bus trip down steep and winding mountains, the camera granted me (sort of) my wish for a photograph of the snow. Snow!

I wanted to give a description of the Djemaa el-Fna square in Marrakesh, in lieu of photos, but decided this was impossible without resorting to all the over-used adjectives. Though I guess it's possible you won't have read as many articles about Morocco as I have and you wouldn't find the adjectives over-used. Regardless, I think you can get a pretty good picture of the market at night with this list of the sources of light:
  • the setting sun, and later, the moon and stars
  • the light bulbs above the food carts (illuminating pyramids of oranges, steaming pots of snails)
  • the fluorescent tubes in the shops (illuminating racks of clothes, sunglasses)
  • the electric signs (Telebotiqúe,Hôtel)
  • the window with a boy sitting on the sill
  • the top of the mosque
  • the electric blue spinning toys being tossed into the air by vendors and children
  • the headlamps of motorcycles
  • the streetlamps
  • the camera flashes
  • the candles displayed in the candle holders for sale
  • the wheels of the battery powered cars
  • the candelabra-esque lamps in the lamp shops
  • the screens and the blinking green lights of ATMs
  • the bare bulbs above the hanging slabs of meat
  • the strings of electric lights in paper star-shaped shades dangling from the second floor balconies of restaurants
  • the fluorescent illumination of glass display cases (illuminating cellphones, wristwatches)
No, never mind. That's not even close to a pretty good picture.

No comments: