Sep 12, 2011

Your choice!

Back before the rains came Sinni told me, “Binta, choice ma arri jooni.”

Not realizing she was mixing English with her Pulaar, since Sinni doesn't speak English, I assumed "choice" was a Pulaar word I'd never heard before. So I tried to figure out the meaning of "choice." In the context of the sentence, "choice," was something of mine that was coming soon. Hmmm...

I tried to ask Sinni some questions to learn the definition of "choice;" Rugi overheard and decided to help. She shouted, "Your choice is your friend!" but Sinni said, "No."

Then Sinni remarked that the cold weather would be coming soon. I tried to think how cold weather related to my belongings or to friendship (even though Sinni had answered "no" to Rugi's translation, I still assumed Rugi was on the right track). Sinni continued and asked, "Don't you think cold weather is better than hot weather?" and suddenly I understood. Cold weather is my choice! And Sinni knows more English than I thought!

No comments: