Sep 16, 2011

Moon and stars!

On the last day of Ramadan we are admiring the sliver of moon.

Musa: Did toubabs make the moon?

Me, pretty sure I must be misunderstanding his question: I don't know.

Musa: Didn't God make the moon?

Me: Yes.

Musa: Where is God?

Me: Isn't he there? [I point to the sky]


After dinner, Mamadou and I lay on our backs and look at the stars.

Me: There are a lot of stars.

Mamadou: Yes. Tomorrow they will pray.

Me: The stars?

Mamadou: Yes. Look, they are praying now. And now they are going for salibo. [Salibo is a trick-or-treating-like event that takes place at the end of Ramadan and during Tobaski. The children dress up in nice clothes and as they walk around the village, people give them candies, dalasis, etc.]

Me: They will ask, "Where is my salibo?"

Mamadou: Yes. You see that group, it is going now.

No comments: