Sep 17, 2011

Strange Fruits: Photographed!

I vaguely remember a poem about strange fruits from Anthropology of Food and Culture. Let me investigate... thanks Wikipedia! Anyway, these strange fruits are not those strange fruits, just to clarify.


After I ate these (by sort of gnawing off the flesh) I planted the seeds in my yard.
And now they're growing!
Sort of.



One day I was walking back from school and found some grapes lying on the side of the road.
Later that same day, Julia handed me a bunch of grapes her host-brother had given her.
When it came time for me to eat the grapes, I'd forgotten which bunch came from Julia, and which from the road.
So I ate them both.



I found these in the Basse market and bought them because I'd never
seen them before. But then I needed to figure out how to eat them.


I borrowed someone's pliers to crack them open, and then continued breaking off
chips and nibbling on that green stuff, which was kind of like nibbling on a sponge.

After all the green stuff had been nibbled away,
I found another shell, which the pliers would not break.
So I found club-like branch and smashed it open cave-man style.
Inside of that there was this purple seed that refused to be tampered with.


These are the not-a-rotten-mango fruits I wrote about!

And here are the innards!
(I was at the transit house in Basse at the time of this photo--there
is no countertop in my mud hut)




These are the Gummi Bear mangoes I ended up sort of liking,
thinking they were the last mangoes I'd eat for many months.
It turns out I ate many more mangoes, so I guess I could've
kept on disliking them.


This is a normal mango.





The part of this fruit that has been eaten has a texture like
freeze-dried ice cream and a taste like...sort of baobob-ish.
Now you just need to know what baobob fruit tastes like.

No comments: