Jul 23, 2012

Yuna reunited!

I didn't think of rhyming "Yuna" with "reunited" on my own. Just wanted to disclose that before you spent the day thinking, "That Sonja Kubik--she's so clever!"




I have a lot to say about the photo above, so I'll spare you some squinting and write the caption as not-a-caption.
1) Yes, I agree that child in back with the demon/gargoyle stare is totally creepy. He sort of appeared in our photo without anyone realizing it. Like a demon. Or a gargoyle.
2) That's me with my tokara! I hadn't seen her in two years, and I'd come to assume I'd never see her again. She got married while I was in training (a wedding I missed due to a mandatory field trip on which we didn't see a hippo) and moved to her husband's compound and that was that. But, happily, she returned for her brother's wedding, which, happily, coincided with one of my visits to Yuna to check on the new trainees :)
3) My tokara has a baby! Which kind of makes my past two years seem a little lame. What did she do in two years? Created a life. What did I do? Umm...taught some kids maths. See what I mean?!




I find this picture hilarious because Sarjo picked up Mariama  for the photo almost the same way he used to pick up  my notebook or a cashew: as a prop. 




Mariama and Baaba




The chair is not normally kept under the orange tree.  It was brought outside  while the  rooms were being  painted, in preparation for the wedding.



I didn't recognize Momadou at first. Click here  to see what he looked like the last time I saw him. 
And yes, he still ran away from me. 




Yo.




Ousainey, Momadou and Demon Gargoyle Kid (aka Omar)






Kumba, Ebrima, and a mobile phone.
Ebrima liked to cry if I looked at him too long.








This kid has a name, but I forget it. Not entirely my fault, because everyone just calls him "Dad."
So if I knew the name of the Dad he was named after, there'd be no problem!









I don't remember this girl's name, and it is entirely my fault.





Hawa and a bean sandwich!

No comments: