Jan 14, 2011

Turtle, turtle!

One day I walked over to my neighbors' compound and found the kids playing with a plastic, squeaky turtle toy. Unfortunately, there's not a paragraph's worth of story in a plastic turtle, even one that squeaks, so I'll resort to bullets.

Reasons why the day the kids played with the plastic, squeaky turtle is worth remembering:
  • I learned the Pulaar word for turtle, which is something like "sow-ray," so in my mind I pictured this hilarious image of a sun that emitted rays of hot pink pigs
  • At one point the turtle stops squeaking and Adama and Cherno tell me it is because the battery is finished. I tell them there are no batteries inside, but as I am not a squeaky-toy expert, I could not explain the real reason why it wasn't working, so I don't think they believed me.

No comments: