Jan 16, 2011

Tobaski, Part II of IV

Continuing:

  • After eating some lunch at Julia's compound I return to my own and eat some more lunch (coos with an oily sauce of onions and meat) that will also be dinner and the next day's breakfast.
  • Julia returns home and I visit Sowe Kunda  (the name of the compound where I hang out a lot and play with the kids) to see if the ladies are wearing asobi yet
  • They aren't, but the kids have started walking around asking for salibo. It seems like every country has some sort of holiday that requires kids to go around asking strangers for candy, and in The Gambia it's the days after Ramadan and during Tobaski. The boys and girls put on their nicest compelets and the girls also load their hair with sparkly clips, shove all their bracelets around their wrists, snap several necklaces around their necks, and pencil in their eyebrows with jet-black or purple pencil.
  • Fatou (I forget who I've already introduced you too, so in case you don't know Fatou, she is my grown-up host sister and the mother to Mamadou, Rugi and Pateh) comes by and we go to the imam's compound where a bunch of women are gathering. I thought there might be tasty food, but there was only chewing gum, a broken cassette player, and a lot of angry shouting.
  • We sit there for awhile, silently.
  • Fatou asks if I'm tired.
  • I say "a little," and we go home.
End of Part II.

No comments: