Jan 18, 2011

Tobaski, Part IV of IV

 To conclude:

On the third day of Tobaski I:
  • Clean and write until the afternoon, when I go visit Sowe Kunda
  • Sinni (maybe that's how you spell her name?) who is Adama, Cherno, and Salio's mom, has put on the asobi compelet and tells me to do the same, so I go home, change, and return
  • I'm tired, but I stay around their compound because I really don't want to miss seeing all the women wearing the asobi, despite the poor fabric choice
  • It's approaching the time of seven o'clock prayers and the women have started fetching water, etc so I'm sitting pretty much by myself
  • Fatou passes by on her way to the tap and we have the following exchange:
Fatou: Binta, when you are tired you can go home
Me: When am I going over there?
Fatou: You're not, it's finished.

So...I bought gross fabric for nothing, but at least I seem to be the only one in village who recognizes its gross-ness.

No comments: