Jan 19, 2011

Busy, busy

I was telling Julia one day that it's difficult for me to recognize students outside of class and that I only know they're one of my students because they'll shout "Miss Jallow!" Then she pointed out that at least I can identify what class they're in by the other phrases they'll also shout out. So in case you ever find yourself in my village, here's how you, too, can identify them:

  • "Busy, busy" will be said by the twelfth graders because one day while most of them were doing classwork and some of them were napping I told them I hoped they were being busy-busy and not lazy-lazy. They laughed hysterically.
  • "Time wasted!" will be said by either of the grade nine classes because for a couple of weeks I attempted to keep track of all the class time they wasted by talking instead of listening. But the plan failed because students would rush up to the board with a piece of chalk and write random numbers like 20 or 100000 underneath where I had written "time wasted"
  • "No minties!" will be said by the grade nine circle class because one day they tried to distract me from teaching maths (this is the same class that asked about who invented colors) by requesting that I buy them minties (candies). I replied that minties are expensive, I am poor, and there will be NO MINTIES.
  • The eleventh graders and I have no inside-jokes :(

No comments: