Dec 3, 2011

Lever!

Student: What is “leever” in Pulaar?
Me: I do not know.
Student: You do not know what is “leever”?
Me: L-E-V-E-R?
Student: Yes.

So I’m amused they're pronouncing "lever" so incredibly British, but wondering what levers have to do with anything since the lesson is on fractions. But they did just come from science class. I say they need to bring me a lever and then I can show it to people and ask, “What is this in Pulaar?” No one volunteers. Instead, they ask if I know the Pulaar word for heart. I tell them. I tell them I also learn the word for ear. Then I tell them we should talk about maths.

After class a student comes up to me and says, “Miss Jallow, leever is [some word I’ve forgotten] in Pulaar.”
Me: Lever?
Student: Yes. And do you know what is ‘long’?
Me: It is not ‘juutde’?
Student: No.
Me: Long? L-O-N-G?
Student: Yes. What is in a sheep’s body. It will go [he breathes heavily in and out]
Me: Oh! Lung! Yes I know what a lung is, but I do not know what “lung” is in Pulaar.
Student: Long is [some other word I’ve forgotten]. When I slaughter a sheep I will show you long and also leever.

No comments: