Dec 29, 2011

It's like America!

Although I, too, agree that sixty degrees Fahrenheit feels like freezing, I'm still amused by others' comments about the cold.

  • One science teacher said, “In the extreme cold the liver will go like this, to warm the body” and motioned that liver would expand or something.
  • Another said, “My physiology is not created for such conditions.”
  •  “Binta, are you among the old generation?” “I do not know what that is.” “The old age people. Matar said all those basking in the sun belong to the old generation.”
  • And one morning when I was talking with some students about cold weather here and elsewhere (America, Iceland, Ghana) a student said, in reference to white people, “But for them the coldness will stop only on the outside of the skin.”

No comments: