Oct 9, 2011

This is the joke that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends...

Towards the end of this past school year:

I am sitting at the teacher's table when I notice one of the teachers, a Baldeh, acting as if he is going to take something from my bag.

"Baldeh! I know you are hungry, but bread is not there!"
"Oh, no, no, I am not hungry..." he replies, and slinks away. The slinking should have aroused my suspicion, but for some reason did not.

Next, I overhear him asking to borrow the vice-principal's mobile and mumbling something about needing to locate his mobile. The vice-principal hands Baldeh a mobile, a number is dialed, and soon an unfamiliar ringtone is playing from my bag.

I open my bag, extract a mobile, and put it on the table.

Baldeh shouts, gleefully, "But there is another one!"

I open my bag again, extract a second mobile, and put it on the table.

"You stole it!"

And thus commences several rounds of Jallow/Bah jokes. Baldeh even calls a teacher, a Mr. Bah, who'd left the school at the end of the first term, to retell the story and then passes the phone to me so I may continue to assert that I am not a thief.

The same thing happens the next day. I mean, the very exact same thing, except he didn't call Mr. Bah again, probably to save on phone credit.

The day after that, the same thing almost happens. Only by chance did I spot an unfamiliar mobile in my bag and remove it before someone had the chance to ring it. As I put the mobile on the table, Baldeh confides that he had wanted to call the mobile and make it ring like yesterday--"and the day before that," I want to add--but I was too quick.

Maybe I should buy some bread and stuff it in his bag...

No comments: