Oct 2, 2011

"But if you beat them, they will not be happy"

The following conversation arose after we tired of retelling the morning's story of Isatou Pippi running to our compound with the failed hope of escaping a beating.

Kairaba: In America, if a man's wife is bad, won't the husband beat her?

Me: Some men.

Kairaba: He will beat his wife??

Me: Some men. Not many men. But if a man beats his wife, many people will be angry. They will say, "Heh! You beat your wife?!"

Kairaba: But if I have a wife from America or France, I will beat her.

Me: Heh! You will beat her?

Kairaba: I will beat her.

Me: But if you beat her, she will be angry.

Kairaba: Okay.

Me: She will go and she will say, "Now Kairaba is not my husband."

Kairaba: Okay.

Me: If she goes, you accept?

Kairaba: Yes. If she goes I will find another one.

Me: ...Okay...

Kairaba: I am just playing! If I have a Gambian or a Senegalese wife I will not beat her.

Me: It is good.

Kairaba: If you give them money, they will be happy. If you give them food, they will be happy. But if you beat them, they will not be happy.

No comments: