Aug 3, 2011

Conversations with Mamadou: Later!

It is early morning; I am reading in my backyard. Mamadou calls to me from the other side of the fence.

Mamadou: Binta!
Me: Naam!
Mamadou: Bring your cards, let’s play!
Another boy, whose voice I don’t recognize: Binta, bring your cards!
Me: Later!

Thirty seconds later….

Mamadou: Binta!
Me: Naam.
Mamadou: Bring your cards.
Me: Later!

Ten seconds later….

Mamadou: Binta!
Me: NAAM.
Mamadou: Come.
Me: Later. I will come later.
Mamadou: Come eat bread.
Me: Come eat what?
Mamadou: Bread.
Unidentified boy: Bread.
Me: Okay.

I am extremely suspicious, but what if it actually is time to eat bread and what if we’re also drinking Nescafe, which is beverage I now enjoy?

I decide to compromise and prepare to step outside, but take my time doing so.

Mamadou: Binta, come.
Me: I’m coming! Wait a little!

I go outside. Mamadou tears a small piece of bread off of the already small chunk he’s holding in his hand and gives it to me. I sigh and pop it in my mouth.

No comments: