May 30, 2011

Conversations with Mamadou: Blong!

Mamadou: The big dog, her name is Levi.

Me: Two Levis?
Mamadou: Yes, they are namesakes.
Me: Her name is not Soldier? [Mamadou had told me a few weeks ago the dog's name was Soldier, even though Neene says her name is Kuri]
Mamadou: Hmm?
Me: I think you said her name is Soldier. It is not Soldier? It is not Kuri?
Mamadou: Her name is…Blong!

He bursts out laughing. I burst out laughing. Wuri, who is over-hearing our conversation, laughs a little too. Even in Pulaar, Blong is a ridiculous name for a dog.

Mamadou starts coughing.

Mamadou: I laughed until I coughed!
Me: Her name is Blong?
Mamadou: Her name is…Torres. [to the dog] Torres! Torres!

Torres/Blong/Soldier/Kuri walks over

Mamadou: Fanta. F-A-N-T-O-U.
Me: F-A-N-T-A. Now the dog's name is Fanta?
Mamadou: Nooo. F-A-N-T-O-U.
Me: F-A-N-T-A. Who hears English, me or you?
Mamadou: Me.
Me: Okay, but I hear English too and F-A-N-T-O-U is Fantou; it is not Fanta.
Mamadou: F-A-N-T-O-U.
Me: Who is Fantou? Your wife?
Mamadou: No. [silence]

Mamadou, in a whisper: Salimatou is my wife.
Me, also in a whisper: Salimatou is your wife? Salimatou who?
Mamadou: Salimatou who was here this afternoon.
Me: Yes, I know her.
Mamdou: Don’t tell anyone!
Me: Okay.

No comments: