Apr 16, 2011

"I am interested in geography"

In the car ride back from Kombo to Basse, back in March, I had a very drawn-out conversation with the man sitting next to me. The conversation did not begin until half-way through our journey, when we’d already been sitting beside each other for several hours, and the conversation took place in a series of two or three sentence exchanges alternated with fifteen to twenty minute gaps of silence. He was always the one restarting our “conversation,” but I didn’t really mind because I had nothing better to do. Plus I think he was genuinely trying to be nice to make up for the creep sitting next to him. Anyway, the man next to me asked questions like how did I like The Gambia and how was I dealing with the heat and how was the work. He also wanted to know if America had “diamond prospectors” because he is interested in geography. I was disappointed to have to disappoint him. “No, no diamond prospectors.”

No comments: