Feb 13, 2011

Words!

I love going to the peer tutoring classes because I learn all sorts of interesting information. Maybe I already mentioned that I learned the plural of “oasis” is “oases”? I thought that information would never come in handy, but then the other day I was completing a crossword puzzle and wouldn’t you know—the solution to 20 ACROSS, “Fertile spots,” is “oases.” Anyway, I also learned, during a lesson on nouns (nouns can be people, places, things, or ideas) that “air” is an idea. In another class, the tutor was talking about adjectives and correctly used the word “lucrative.” He explained that he’d read it in a book and then looked it up in a dictionary. I normally let the tutors do their thing, but when he was running out of examples of adjectives ending in “-some,” I suggested “awesome.” This was a word they’d never heard before. Hopefully it will catch on and I’ll start hearing both my favorite words all the time (the first favorite word being “hooray”).

No comments: