Feb 23, 2011

The Mathematical Method of Scorpion Killing

One day I entered the 11th grade classroom and found a tiny scorpion in the doorway. I thought that one among the group of students crowding around after I'd pointed it out would simply stomp on it. Instead, one of the boys found a small stick and poked it through the middle of the scorpion, then kicked the scorpion out of the door and stomped on it.
After class, I told the teachers about it. One of them replied, “That is the mathematical way of killing a scorpion.” Another one said, “Was it a red one or a black one?” Apparently, in addition to the small, orange scorpion I’d spotted that day there are also black ones that are much bigger. I'm just a little frightened. If I actually seen one, I'm sure I will be much more frightened.

No comments: