Feb 3, 2011

Sardines!

A few weeks ago, Rugi started a sardine can collection for me. At one point I had three identical, empty tin cans that previously contained "Olivia Sardines in vegetable oil", or if you look on the other side, "Sardine a L'Huile Vegetale."

She would use the collection as an excuse to come into my hut, where she could admire the postcards hanging from my wall or run in fear of the gas burner ("Binta! What is that? I am not brave!"). One day she noticed the plastic wind-up monkey I've got on my desk and wanted it. I told her she could not have it, and she must have realized it was one of my nicer items because she decided to request a rubber band instead. I could not give her that either without hearing requests from every village child that he or she also be given a rubber band, and besides, I'd already given her several glow-in-the-dark Silly Bandz. I said no.

Rugi: I gave you cans! You should give me a rubber band.
Me: No, I cannot.
Rugi: Give me back my cans.
Me: Okay.

Rugi seemed pretty shocked when I handed over my entire collection of used sardine cans. She tried to hand them back, but I insisted she keep them.

No comments: