Jun 18, 2012

Worokia!

Worokia and Neene Umu came to our compound after dinner.

Neene Umu: I said ‘I’m going to Jallow Kunda’ and Worokia said, ‘Me too.’

I’d heard them as they walked over; Worokia was strapped to Neene Umu’s back and they were singing a song. Once they’d arrived and greeted us, Neene Umu joined the adults’ conversation and Worokia began a conversation with me, a.k.a. entertained me with a fast-paced, high-pitched monologue. First Worokia explained that Mariama had been sick but she ate a lot of mangoes and now she is well.

“If you are sick, if you eat mangoes, you will be well?”
“Yes.”

The adults were having trouble hearing themselves and asked Worokia if she could be quiet. Worokia paused…

and launched into a thrilling tale about a konkoran that came into the house. Considering I hadn’t seen a konkoran in months, I’d say this story had as much veracity as medicinal mangoes.

“Worokia!” yelled the adults. Worokia lapsed into an embarrassed silence, then sleep.

No comments: