Jun 6, 2012

Geography!

Reactions to a picture book about Japan:

  • Neene exclaims that the sumo wrestlers are wearing only underwear. This, despite the fact that that Gambian wrestlers are similarly unclad.
  • Everyone is excited and asks to see when I explain the women are farming tea leaves  
  • I try explaining a stone sculpture of a dragon. “They made the rock so you will think it has a face. You see? Eyes, a nose, a mouth.” Adama tells me she has never seen something like this. 
  • I describe a photo of fireworks as “fire entered the sky,” to which Adama exclaims, “La illa! The sky is burning!” 

Reactions to a magazine about SkellefteƄ, Sweden:
  • I am told the little girl walking to the beach with a bucket and shovel is going to fetch water. I am asked what the shovel is, but before I can answer, I am told it is a spoon. 
  • The man and woman pushing golf carts are actually pushing motorcycles.  
  • “What is the man doing?” “He is cooking.” “A man is cooking? A man is cooking??” “Yes, men are able to cook.” 
  • On the page opposite a description of “Living Nature waiting to be experienced” is a full page photo of a bird sitting on a log in a forest. Adama says, “A bird.” Rugi pretends to pluck it from the page and stuff it in her mouth. The other kids follow suit.

No comments: