Apr 15, 2012

How to draw a cow.

After helping Adama and Cherno write a letter to my cousin, I ask them to draw her some pictures. This they are more than willing to do, especially since I bring out colored pencils. However, Adama cannot think of anything to draw. I suggest she draw a house. She seems un-enthused with the idea (but Haddy, when she shows up, gets right to work and I have to cut her off at house number four so I can go home and bathe).

“Draw my husband.”
“I cannot. That is difficult.”
“That’s true. Okay, draw a cow.”
“A cow?”
“Yes, where Maggie lives there are no cows.”
“No cows?”
“No cows.”

There are, actually, plenty of cows where Maggie lives, but the lie gives cows the necessary appeal and Adama gets to work.
“These are its horns, horns that will poof-poof, stab you…This is its neck. Now remaining only its legs.”
“And it’s body.”

The cow is finished.

“Now what?” she asks.
“Draw a goat.”

But before she begins the goat she realizes the cow is not finished, actually, because she has not colored the cow. She needs to use every one of the available colors, including green. When the cow is for-real finished, Adama starts planning the goat: “Horns, a neck, and three legs.”
“Four.”
“Four?”
“A goat has four legs.”

Cherno interrupts to request a turn at drawing. Adama tells him he cannot draw. I say, “He can draw a mango.”

After Cherno draws some mangoes, Adama begins the goat: horns, neck, legs.

She double-checks, “A goat has four legs? Or is it three?”
“Four.”

No comments: