Apr 2, 2012

Brazil v. Brazil

The conversation turns to football. I decide to continue conversing because Alieu seems passionate about the topic. I enjoy conversations with passionate people because:
  1.  they’re all excited and rambling
  2. I can stop fretting over awkward silences
  3. I’ve learned a lot this way—about the history of medieval Germany, the purpose of masks in Japanese theater, the production of vulcanized rubber, and whatever that insect is my sister was researching. And now, football.
I’m treated to biographies of all the most important players, from date and place of birth (as bonus information, I’m also told which country and continent the hometowns are located in, as well as the national languages). I learn that all the best players come from Brazil, but most of them leave Brazil to play for the other teams. “So one day it will just be Brazil playing Brazil?” “Yes, even now that is happening.”

 I learn the final scores for several important games, as evidence for the most important fact: Barcelona is the best. By this point in the conversation I’ll admit I’m getting a little tired of it, so I’m hoping to stir up something when I turn to Amadou and ask, “Is Alieu correct?”

Amadou looks up with a start—he’d zoned out as well.

“Is Barcelona the best?”
“The best in Europe, yes.”

What follows is a disappointingly civil discussion in which Amadou points out that we don’t know how Barcelona will perform in some or other upcoming cup and Alieu asserts that we do know how they will perform, they will win. The debate ends with them laughing at what a lousy team Arsenal is compared to Barcelona. “Barcelona will use Arsenal as a bed. When Barcelona wants to sleep, they will play Arsenal.”

 ...

“But they don’t play football in America.”
“No, they are not as interested in football there.”
“It is only volleyball.”
“And basketball,” I add.

Also baseball, but then I’d have to explain baseball. And American football, but I need someone to explain that to me. So: volleyball and basketball, America’s favorite sports.

No comments: