Jul 12, 2011

Liquide de frein!

One Sunday at the weekly market, I bought a wanjo juice icee. It was not an icee, however, so much as a former icee, because anything ice-like about it had melted awhile ago. What was more interesting than its debatable icee status, however, was the container it came served in. Prior to containing melted wanjo juice icee, this opaque white and red bottle had contained 250 mL of LIQUIDE DE FREIN. What is liquid de frein? I wish I knew. I’ve probably consumed some. I tried to read the writing printed on the back but between half the letters being rubbed away and my having only half a semester of middle-school French, I understood only enough to feel alarmed:

“Liquide de frein…normas…FM?SS…NI640-IS04925. Miscible avec tous les autres…norms SAE mais ne doit pas être utilise…certains…deles CITROEN nécessistant on liquide mineral (LHM).


UTILISATION
Stocker ce liquide uniquement dans son bidon d’origine, fermé hermétiquement.

PRECAUTIONS D’EMPLOI
-Ne pas laisser à porteé des enfants.
-No cif par…gestion.
-Eviter le contact avec la peau et les yeux.

Fabriqué en Holland par VPS International bv”

I gathered that it’s a unique liquid that you should keep in its original container, away from children, and not ingest. Also, it was made in Holland, but that was the non-alarming part.

Anyway, as Julia reassured me, the bottle has probably been reused so many times since it contained “liquide de frein” (it was a bit scruffy and scratched-looking) that I’ve got nothing to worry about.

I’m still really curious, though.

...
 
I remembered I have internet access, as I am currently on the internet. Google Translate answered my question: BRAKE FLUID.

No comments: