Jul 13, 2011

Anti-giraffe!

One afternoon in grade eleven:

Student: Miss Jallow, look at Isatou’s shoes.


[I look at Isatou’s shoes, which are sort of in the style of gladiator sandals]

Student: They are soldier shoes!

Another student: She is anti-giraffe!

(the only explanations I can offer for “anti-giraffe” is that it either comments on Isatou’s height, or I misheard).

Me: But I like her shoes. They have these on them [I point out the stars studding the sides] Also, a soldier would not wear shoes like this, with the toes like this. It is too dangerous.

Yet another student: Yes, I have seen soldiers wearing shoes even like this [he shows me the flip-flops on his feet] when they are running on the road.

Me: Yes, but if they are fighting they will not wear those shoes because the toes could get cut off.

Isatou’s friend: They are just jealous.
Student: I am not. Those are girls’ shoes. Anyway, I would not wear them.

No comments: