Jun 24, 2011

Thirty-five percent!

German Boy (who is not actually German, but that is his nick-name): There is a 35 percent difference between America and here…The heat. In America it is not hot.

Me: It is hot, but it is not has hot as here. Before I came to Gambia, I did not know this heat.

German Boy: Yes, it is hot, but the hotness is not the same. That is why I am like this [indicates his dark skin] The heat. If I went to America I would get what I need, the coldness. And good food. It is because I am here that I am like this [indicates his skin again]. If I had coldness, if I had good food, I would not be like this.

Me: You would be like this? [I point to my skin]

German Boy: Yes.

Then our conversation ends because one of his friends arrives and they start arguing in Pulaar about whether English or French is better.

No comments: