Jun 27, 2011

Oops.

So apparently, I think, the radio will occasionally list the names of people who have recently passed away, but I didn’t realize that’s what the list of names was about so when I heard, “Neene Galle Jallow” I turned to Neene and said, “Neene! I heard your name on the radio!” and Gaye didn't hear me so I repeated, “The radio, it said ‘Neene Galle Jallow’” and then no one said anything in response and I was left to puzzle in silence why no one seemed to care even though everyone loves to point out that song where “Binta Jallow” is mentioned.

Then, a little later, Neene says to Gaye that So-and-so from Such-and-such village has died and I realize she must have learned that from the radio. But for sure things would’ve been a lot less awkward if Neene had just said, “Binta, that’s not funny, those are the names of dead people.”

Then again, if she’d said that I probably would’ve felt embarrassed and angry and wished that she’d just stayed silent and let me figure it out for myself.

No comments: