Mar 24, 2011

Gone with the wind!

The bees came with the wind. One morning, a few minutes after the strong winds started, Rugi screams. "A bee!" "Grab your dog and go inside!" I obey, until it's time to teach the Saturday computer class. Shortly before I leave I hear another child screaming from a bee sting. I’m slightly terrified, but I make it to the school and back without incident. When I return home only Kairaba is sitting outside.

Me: The bees have not gone yet?
Kairaba: No! Today all the villagers did not go outside, did not do work.
Me: Because of the bees?
Kairaba: Yes, the bees.

The next night, Fatou points out the HUGE fire underneath the baobab tree a few compounds away. One of the branches is also on fire. I'm told they are burning the bees.

So actually, the bees were "gone with the fire," but whatever, I'm not changing the post's title.
 
P.S. The entire tree did not burn down.

No comments: