Mar 9, 2011

Bumster!

Today was non-exciting, in the filing taxes sort of way, because that's what I did after this morning's meetings were finished. So there's not much to write about in the way of today, except for the bumster I met while walking back to the office. I would repeat the conversation, but it was quite long and I've forgotten much of it. I kept trying to shake him off by telling him I was a busy person with much work to do. This only encouraged him to tell me that he, too, was a hard-working person. So I asked, if he was such a hard-working person, why was he walking next to me instead of doing some hard work? He answered that it is not yet time for working in the fields, which is true, and that he will return to his village in the rainy season. Then he talked on and on for awhile about how wonderful and loving his village is and how none of the villagers ever buys anything. This part of the conversation I remember.

Me: People there do not buy anything?
Him: There is only one store in the village and it is very small. People will not spend more than five dalasis.
Me: Only five dalasis? But that is not true.
Him: No, it is true!
Me: But I think you will need to buy ataya.
Him: Yes.
Me: And that is more than five dalasis. And sugar! That also is expensive.
Him: No, but...
Me: The people in your village do not drink ataya?
Him: Yes, they drink ataya.
Me: Then they are buying ataya, sugar...that is more than five dalasis.
Him: You are a smart woman, that is why I like you.

I didn't shake him until we passed a group of three young women who asked me why I was not talking to him. "You should talk to him." I replied, "I do not want to talk to him. He is bothering me," and finally finally he turned down a side street and I was able to walk in peace and finish eating my chicken sandwich.

No comments: