Aug 26, 2010

Basse!

Grrr... I just wrote this wonderful post about being in Basse and
eating a bean sandwich and visiting my permanent site. And then I
clicked send and Internet Explorer told me I was not connected to the
internet. And when I reconnected, I checked the drafts folder, and
nothing was there except some e-mail I never sent a month ago. And now
everyone is getting ready to leave for lunch. So the super short
summary:

I'm in Basse (at the Peace Corps transit house, where there is a
computer with internet) and tomorrow I'm leaving for Banjul for a few
days for training, swearing-in, and shopping (furniture, etc)
My new house is a circular hut with a thatch roof and a corragate
fence around the backyard. Several branches of a mango tree also hang
over the fence, so I will have shade and mangoes. A glorious
combination.

I possibly ate electric eel, but I don't know because the fish was all
chopped up. But before they chopped up the fish (i.e. when their uncle
brought over a basket of freshly caught and still weakly-flopping
fish) my new host mom pointed to some of them and said the Pulaar word
for electricity. And I was confused, because she was not pointing to a
light switch or a battery or even a windmill. So she mimicked touching
the fish and receiving an electric shock.

And I think that's basically all I'd written before, but more
concisely. So...yay.

No comments: