Mar 1, 2012

Where were you?

I wander into the alkalo’s compound because I’m looking for Fatou Bobo. One of the women there, the wrinkly one sucking on an orange icee, says, “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you.”

Me: I’ve been in Basse.

Woman: Oh, when did you get back, yesterday?

It hadn’t been yesterday, it’d been about a week ago, but I didn’t want to admit that so I said, “No, not yesterday. I forget.”

Woman: When? The day before yesterday? The day before that?

I gulp around for an answer, debating whether to tell the truth. If I say “five days” will that still be too long ago for me to have not visited?

Me: …I forget.

She continues sucking on her icee, discontent with my answer. I sit down on a rock next to her, to show that I mean no harm—even if I can’t remember when I came home from Basse. I do not actually have anything to say. Another woman in the compound rescues me by saying, “Your namesake is there.”

Me: Where?

Other Woman: In that house, there. Go and greet her.

So I stand up and go find my namesake, the one with the gold teeth.

No comments: