Mar 9, 2012

I want to be in America!

I remembered that the man wearing the Tostan shirt was a Serrehule so to end the awkward silence I asked if they’d started the Serrehule Tostan program yet. He said yes and we talked about Tostan for a little bit before the conversation changed to how he would like to go to America. He has seen from the films that it is very nice there. I could logically have followed this comment with, “What films have you seen?” but I was afraid of the answer so I switched the conversation back to his brother in Spain.
His brother went to Spain the “back way”—overland, sans papers. I said I’d heard of people getting caught and being sent back. He agreed, and told me Britain, especially, loves to send people away. In fact, even his brother, the first time he tried going to Spain he was caught and sent back. He tried again and the second time he managed to stay. He’s been there three or four years and if he waits just one more year the Spanish government will give him papers; then he will be able to get a real job. Right now he is picking oranges.

When Serrehule Tostan Man goes to Spain, he doesn’t want to go the back way. He would like to arrive in an airplane. But where he would really like to end up is America. But America is difficult to get to, so he will go to Spain first.

The next day, coincidentally, I have a very similar conversation with one of the teachers. He too, has seen films, and he admires “the way of life there.” It is difficult to get into America, but once you are there, you will enjoy.

I felt like I should dispute this. I didn’t, sadly not from respect for dreams deferred, but out of laziness. I knew he would disagree, and I wasn’t up for arguing. However, I didn’t want to encourage Ellis-Island-gold-pavement thinking, so I replied with a noncommittal, “Mmm.”

He continues. His mother’s younger brother is in California and has been there for five years.

“There are gangsters in Los Angeles and New York.”

“Yes, but I have not met one. And if I never meet one, I will be okay.”

He laughs, “Black gangsters—like Tupac Shakur, Snoop Doggy Dog, Big… I do not remember his name now… Have you ever met Akon? He is in America now.”

“No, I have not met him.”

No comments: