Feb 17, 2012

Bicyclists!

Last Sunday I decided to go for a stroll. The temperature was cool, I had nothing to do, and I wanted to photograph an amusing sign that I knew was somewhere down the road, the one that passes through the woods beside the river. My only hesitation was that Sunday is the day of the big weekly market; I worried too many passing people would disturb and destroy what I envisioned would be a relaxing commune with nature.

Happily, this was not the case. Maybe because it was approaching evening and everyone wanted to get home, few men slowed down their bicycle for more than a “good afternoon,” and those that asked “Where are you going?” all accepted my answer of “I’m just strolling” without further comment.
There were a couple of mini-conversations, however. Here is how they went:

Bicyclist 1: Good afternoon.

Me: Peace only. How’s the afternoon?

Bicyclist 1: Peace only. What is your name?

Me: Binta.

Bicyclist 1: Surname?

Me: Jallow.

Bicyclist 1: Binta Jallow. Which country are you from?

Me: America.
Bicyclist 1: America! Allahu-akbar! I have a child who is in America.

Me: Where in America?

Bicyclist 1: Hamburg.

............................................................

Bicyclist 2: Can I take you?

Me, not hearing what was said but assuming it was a greeting: Jam tan.

Bicyclist 2: Huh?

Me: Wii da?

Bicyclist 2: Can I take you?

Me: No.

...........................................................

Bicyclist 3: Aloha.

No comments: