Nov 20, 2011

Marseilles!

Last week the French teacher was trying to convince Therese, a student, about the importance of learning French. French is now a core subject, equal to English and Maths, but Therese argued that she does not need to learn French because she can already speak English, Pulaar and Manjako.

The French teacher rebutted that many Manjakos move to France, to Marseilles. How will she be able to move to Marseilles if she cannot speak French? How will she be able to find a husband there if she cannot speak French?

Therese countered that she does not want to move to France; she will go to America. Another teacher asks, I originally think unrelatedly, “Binta, do you have a brother?” I say yes I do. “Then maybe Therese can marry your brother!” I say, sure! Therese agrees, “Yes, I will go to America and marry Miss Jallow’s brother.”

“…but all the Manjakos go to Marseilles…”

No comments: