Sep 24, 2010

Birds!

This is another post that was not-so-secretly written in the past. But it may or may not be the first of these such posts that you are actually reading.

The actual date is August 31. But this is irrelevant because I am not writing about stuff I've done today, like eating ice cream at Bamboo Garden. I am writing about birds, briefly. Today, August 31, I found the Rough Guide to The Gambia among the books in the Stodge's library. And among the pages of this guide I found a bird identification section, that will allow me to identify 36 of the over 560 bird species found in The Gambia.

Birds I know I have seen:
  • Village weaver. I was told by a reliable bird-identifier that these were what I had seen. I don't actually remember seeing the bird, but I do remember their nests, which were awesome. You can probably find a picture on Google.
  • Red-cheeked cordon-bleu. These are AWESOME looking and I saw them all the time in Yuna. The males have these bright red dots on their cheeks that make them look girly and adorable.
Birds I may have seen:
  • Hooded vulture
  • Palm-nut vulture
I know I have seen a vulture of some sort or another. If The Gambia contains more than two species of vulture, it's possible I've seen vultures of neither the hooded nor the palm-nut variety.

Birds I wish I would see because their names are beyond awesome:
  • Little bee-eater
  • Beautiful sunbird
  • Exclamatory paradise whydah
Birds I wish I would see because their blue feathers look like silk and they have yellow, bulging eyes:
  • Purple glossy starling

No comments: