Jan 25, 2012

Motorcycle and Man Meander to Market

On the way to the market, where I was going to buy soap, the following exchanges take place.


Man on Motorcycle: Hey, Adama!

Me: I’m Binta…Good morning.

Man on Motorcycle: I thought you went to America.

Me: Adama went to America, but I am Binta.

Man on Motorcycle: So when are you going?

Me: Remaining less than a year.


A couple of minutes later I get stopped by a man in a car. There are actually several men in the car, but only the driver talks to me.


Driver of Car: Why did you not call to me?

Me: Hmm?

Driver of Car: When you walked past me, why did you not call to me? I was going to the market, I could have taken you.


I now recognize the car as the one usually parked outside of the pharmacy I walk past on my way to the market. I must have walked past it today as they were about to head out.


Me: Sorry, I did not see you.

Driver of Car: But you walked right next to the car! I could have taken you to the market!

Me: Maybe I walked right next to you, but I was looking somewhere else.

Driver of Car, containing laughter: You were thinking about your husband over there.

Me: Yes.


Actually, I’d been thinking about blue jeans.

No comments: